Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Closings

Yesterday was the closing. I am now a Jersey wife and in my first official act as such, the husband and I celebrated with a journey to Costco. I had never been there before. Let's face it, I was raised in the type of wealthy suburb where I the two times I did venture inside a Sears (we had parked on the wrong side of the mall) I sheepisly hurried throught the racks of discount clothing with my eyes downward and lived in fear for weeks that someone had seen me walking out of the Sears...

But back to the present, where I have just bought a house and frankly do not have the money to by toilet paper role by role. We met my sister and her one year old daughter in the parking lot, and made our way inside. Jeans sold for 12 dollars. It was hard not to cringe as I passed by the starched dark denim with bold yellow stitching. I may have given in to the idea of saving money by buying bulk toilet paper and towels, but if I ever start wearing Costco fashions... So we bought nearly $300 worth of stuff. Mostly cleaning stuff and lots of detergent. Yes, we will now have a washer and dryer (no more washn' fold) and we now have a dishwasher (no more take out salads eaten with plastic utensils... well a lot less anyway) Bulk shampoo, soap, razors....

Then we stood in line. Yes, I the girl once known for my skills at getting bouncers to allow me to bypass the lines at the best clubs in Manhattan, was standing behind a ginormous shopping cart filled with bulk products. My husband disappeared into the crowd, enthusiatically babbling something about bulk underwear.

Back at the house, we unloaded the car as I tried to escape the uncanny feeling that I was becoming my mother (don't get me wrong. LOVE her, but just didn't expect to become her...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home